In 2016, Lee and I made the decision that life is just too short not to go exploring.
So to that end, we bought a VW T4 campervan and spent the next few months adding some funky new features (including an amazing new custom kitchen unit by talented Sam). We’ve now packed up all that we own, handed in our notice at work and have headed off on a grand European climbing adventure.
You can use the map below to follow us on our journey. Click on a destination to see notes, photos and even maybe a blog post or two.
To see what I’m reading on the trip, and read 30second or three-minute reviews, visit the Bookshelf.
Latest Van Blog Posts
- Verona - An opera in an Amphitheatre? Don't mind if we do! It was way too hot for climbing around Lake Garda. Looking for other things to do, I found we weren't that far from the city
- Black Forest – Hiking - A few images from our rainy hikes around the black forest. Wild strawberries are nearly ready!
- Er, I’ll have the cake please. - Sometimes you just have to leave a couple of bits of gear and bail. Then you deconstruct what just happened on the walk out before stuffing your face with cake. Our first full day in
- Simonsberget - One of the things I have decided I will improve on this trip is my crack climbing ability. This seems like a simple task, bearing in mind my company on the trip (for those of
- The Marina Block - We found a great block to visit just outside of Helsinki. Stood on a platform looking out to sea we could dip our feet in the ocean to cool off. Perfect day out. As we
- Gränsfors Bruk - Back at the start of the trip when we were buying guidebooks for Sweden Lee got chatting to a sales assistant about the Gränsfors Bruk Axe’s they had for sale as he owns two already
- Juniskär - Juniskär is a gem of a climbing destination. Boulders strewn across a granite plateau looking out across a calm sea. A light breeze and the only other souls in sight are the sailors out in
- Sweden – Day One - After finally managing to get hold of a guidebook we were on our way. Up past Gothenburg to Bosulän. On the drive in Lee was eyeing up every bit of rock he could see “there
- Gunshots in the Forest - After a fun ferry trip over - those places are a people watchers dream - we had finally landed in the Netherladns. Border control thought we were a bit mental, “you’re going to live in
- Slate: Flail or Fail - Another blistering week of sunshine in the Dinorwig Slate Quarries, sometimes you just can't complain about the weather. After a mad rush packing up the last few bits and bobs on Saturday morning we were